From the LOSD District Office sent on Monday, Jan. 16
We regret to report that schools will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 17
- Elementary Extended Day Program will be closed.
- All before school activities are canceled. A decision regarding afternoon and evening activities will be made by 2 p.m. on Tuesday.
- For LHS we have scheduled games vs. WLHS. We will inform all coaches and parties involved on the status of the games by 2 p.m tomorrow.
- Swim pool will be closed.
- All administrators, directors and other 12-month employees should report to their school or department if and when it is safe to do so.
- District office will be open.
While road and sidewalk conditions in some areas, especially major thoroughfares, have improved significantly, many others remain coated in thick ice. This is especially true for shaded roadways.
LOPD as well as the district’s transportation manager have advised that buses will have difficulty navigating icy roads tomorrow, even with chains.
Freezing temperatures will continue overnight into tomorrow morning. There is a strong possibility of freezing rain tomorrow morning.
We should note that school parking lots, driveways, and pathways are currently clear and dry, thanks to the outstanding efforts of our facilities operations staff.
District administration is developing a proposal for making up lost instructional time, which should be finalized by this Friday, January 20. This plan is being developed in consultation with employee association leadership, and will be submitted to the school board for approval.
Thank you for understanding the challenges to student and staff safety posed by these difficult conditions.